If you smell rotten eggs inside your home or office premise, then it is surely a plumbing issue. The foul smell is a result of hydrogen sulfide, a gas that comes from decaying organic matter or sewage.
It’s not healthy to breathe sewer gas. In fact, sewer gas can be dangerous.
In a residential home, it exists in low levels and can occur if a plumbing problem exists. When the home’s plumbing system is working properly, the naturally-occurring hydrogen sulfide is directed up and out of your house through the plumbing system.
If your plumbing is in place, no smell should be present. That is why it is imperative to know how to tell if your home might have a leak and get it fixed immediately.
When we smell this gas in our homes, many a times it is caused by a small problem. Other times a sewer gas smell is a sign of a bigger problem, such as a broken sewer. Diagnosing this problem can be simple or complicated, depending on the cause of the problem.
Hydrogen sulfide is dangerous even at low levels. Prolonged exposure to sewer gas can cause irritability, headaches, fatigue, sinus infections, bronchitis, pneumonia, loss of appetite, poor memory and dizziness. It affects people and pets that are exposed to it over a long period of time. Even if the smell comes and goes, it needs to be addressed. Likely there is a blocked, broken, cracked or deteriorated pipe allowing the gas to enter your home. It’s not going to go away until it’s repaired.
Where is hydrogen sulfide gas smell strongest?
Hydrogen sulfide is a heavy gas and is strongest near the floor or ground. Once exposed to the smell you will become desensitized to it, which causes you to think it is no longer present. Hydrogen sulfide never occurs in high levels within homes because of the small amount of sewage and the amount of fresh air that moves through the system.
If you smell rotten eggs in your home, you should call a plumber as soon as possible.