Its pretty simple actually. The basic ratio of water to pasta is four parts water to one part pasta.
The cooking time will depend on the amount of pasta and the water you put in. Be careful not to overcook the pasta. The perfect pasta should be “aI dente”, meaning tender but still firm when you eat it.
- Cook in the microwave at full power until water boils (2:30 minutes for 1 cup and 5 minutes for 2).
- If adding short pasta (penne), cook for 12 minutes at 350 watts (50% power if your microwave is 700 watt), until water is absorbed.
- If adding long pasta (spaghetti), the ends will stick out of the pot. Cook for 1 minute at full power. The pasta in the water will have softened, and you can then push the ends into the pot.
- Cook another minute at full power, then stir, making sure all the pasta is covered by water.
- Cook 6 to 8 minutes, depending on the variety of the pasta is, at 350 watts until the pasta is done.
- Drain the water away and serve with your favorite sauce.
Wrapping the container with a plastic wrap with some holes poked in it for the steam to escape, will prevent the water from boiling out. Check consistently until the right texture is achieved.
Steps for reheating leftover pasta in the microwave oven :
- Place the leftover pasta in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pricking some holes or leaving one corner open slightly to allow steam to escape.
- Reheat on micro power medium mode for approximately 1.5 minutes. The duration of the reheat depends on how much pasta you have.
- Once it is done, check to see if the pasta is warmed thoroughly. If not, return the pasta to the microwave oven and continue to cook in 15-second intervals.
MAMA MIA ENJOY!