The Compressor is one of the most expensive parts of the refrigerator and it is also the heart of your machine. If your refrigerator has been buzzing or humming — or if it’s failing to keep your food cold — you might need compressor repairs, which can cost anywhere between Rs 2000 to Rs 18000/- depending on the model of your refrigerator.
Some common compressor issues include:
- Problems with the compressor fan: The fan is very important to the compressor, as it helps to cool it down and prevent overheating. If the fan stops, the compressor will make a strange noise and your fridge will start to overheat.
- Clicking noises: If you hear clicking sounds, there’s a chance you have an issue with your start relay, or that the compressor is overloading, which could cause the compressor to break.
- Faulty compressor: If parts of the fridge are cooling less than they used to, test the compressor by unplugging the fridge and accessing the compressor from the back.
- Other noises: Your compressor is usually silent. If it’s making noises, it’s likely that your compressor has gone bad and will need to be replaced.
Other repairs you might encounter over the lifespan of your fridge:
- Rattling sounds: There’s a drip pan under your fridge and there is a chance that pan is rattling when water hits it. If there’s too much liquid, empty it.
- Freezer: If the evaporator fan motor starts making strange noises, push the door switch to see if that turns it off. This usually means you will need to replace the motor.
If the question on your mind is to repair or replace :
- Age: If your refrigerator is less than 8 years old, it should be repaired. If it is more than 15 years old, it should probably be replaced.
- Type: Some types are more expensive to repair than others. Built-in refrigerators are less expensive to repair if they’re less than 5 years old; side-by-side refrigerators are more expensive to repair if they’re over 5 years old.
- Efficiency: If your refrigerator is increasing your electricity bill, consider replacing it with a more efficient one.
Another alternative to expensive repairs is to get behind the Refrigerator once in a while. We generally do not want to take the risk of moving our refrigerator and finding out what may be the situation behind it. But in an effort to ensure the cleanliness & optimal usage of the fridge, we must get behind it at least once in every six months. Cleaning the coils ensures efficiency of the Refrigerator.
Try it once in a while 🙂