Did your phone brave the Mumbai rain?

starranty-mobile-phones
We Mumbaikars have experienced that if it rains incessantly during extreme high tide days, it creates serious water-logging issues across the city. Few of us swam, got drenched, got stuck and were left to fend for ourselves.
The indomitable spirit of Mumbai has been at display and takes us by awe. We as a city is grappling to get back to our feet after the deluge.
Amongst other losses that hit us, few of us may be grappling with wet damaged phones and huge appliance repair costs. Sometimes even if a wet cellphone seems dead, there’s a good chance it can be resuscitated. If you act fast, the greater the likelihood that your phone will outlive this monsoon.

Best practices for a wet phone – 

Generally, phones don’t die only because of water. They die because the water causes a short in the wiring. In order for that to happen, you need to have power. If you can power down the phone and dry it out within 48 hours of water exposure, chances are good.
You also need to remove the cell phone battery as quickly as you can, in order to reduce or eliminate the amount of electricity in the phone. Do not shake the phone. Be sure to remove the SIM card and any other exterior components that you can, to help it air out. Dry it off as quickly as you can with a towel or soft cloth. Do not force the towel into any ports, because you do not want to push the water further into the phone or get any pieces of the towel stuck inside the phone. Also do not attempt to push any buttons on the phone or to try to turn it on. This could push water further into the phone as well.  Most phone manufacturers as you may already know, do not cover water damage. That means even if your phone is well within the warranty period, the damage will not be covered by the company.

If you are wondering how do companies | service centers know you got your phone wet?
Well, most phones have water sensors in them that can detect if the phone was wet. The sensors in most phones actually just look like tiny bits of paper or stickers. They are white when dry, and they turn bright red – permanently – when they get wet. So if you take your phone case off, and you see bright red paper dots on the interior of your phone, that’s probably a tripped water sensor.

Use a desiccant to wick away any leftover moisture.
The most convenient and commonly used desiccant is uncooked rice. Just leave the phone (and its disconnected battery) submerged in a bowl of rice grains overnight. If you’re worried about rice dust getting inside your phone, you can instead use the packets of silica gel that often come stuffed in the pockets of new clothes, shoes, bags. But acting fast is far more important than avoiding a little dust, so don’t waste time shopping if you don’t already have a handful of silica gel.
The most important thing to remember is to avoid heat. That means it is a complete no to hair dryers, ovens, microwaves or extended periods in direct sunlight. While heat will certainly evaporate the moisture, it could also warp components, circuits and melt sensitive adhesives.

Once the phone has been completely dried for 48 hours, you can try replacing the battery and powering it on.  This means you may be out of a handset for 2-3 days but it will be worth the wait. Consider it a chance to unplug.
Stay safe 🙂

 

Share This: