WHAT WE CAN LEARN FROM THE FIRE IN SHEKHAR BAJAJ’s HOUSE?

fireexit
A fire broke out at Mumbai’s, Cuffe Parade, Maker tower in  the wee hours of Tuesday morning. The residents were the noted Bajaj family. The reason for the fire was attributed to a short circuit. The outbreak caused death of 2 domestic helps.
#lifelesson : Fire does not spare anyone! Not even the home of the Chairman of one of the trusted and most successful enterprises, whose prime business is electrical appliances and electric fittings. What an antithesis!
With Diwali round the corner, it is imperative that we are aware of fire hazards and make conscious decisions to prevent them. The reasons a fire emanates from are aplenty but most can be prevented.
COOKING :
  • Always stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or boiling food. Do not leave the fire on. Switch off the hob, even if you were to leave the kitchen only to answer the phone or the doorbell.
  • Wear appropriate clothing with tightly rolled sleeves while cooking.
  • Do not cook if you are sleepy, or have taken medicines that makes you feel drowsy or less alert.
  • Stay focussed when deep frying.

ELECTRICAL AND APPLIANCE SAFETY :
  • Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.
  • Buy electrical products from reputed brands.
  • Use electrical extension cords wisely; do not overload extension cords or wall sockets.
  • Immediately switch off, and use professional help to replace, light switches that are hot to touch and are flickering.
  • Place appliances on proper grounding.
  • If using Chinese make Diwali lightings, be cautious and check thoroughly for any signs of wear and tear.
KIDS :
  • Teach children that fire is a tool, not a toy. Explain the hazards to them.
  • Store matches and lighters out of children’s reach and sight.
  • Teach children not to pick up matches or lighters they may find.
  • Never leave children unattended near operating gas stoves or burning candles, even for a short time.
Mumbai has seen a fair share of fire disasters as a result of electrical and appliance short circuits.
Many innocent lives have been lost in the absence of standard and simple precautionary measures.


What is more worthy of saving ? That’s the question one needs to ask.

Share This: