Fires and how we can be cautious

fire

We woke up to the horrifying news of the massive fire that broke out at the four-storey Hotel Arpit Palace in central Delhi’s Karol Bagh in the early hours of Tuesday. Saddened to note that 17 people were killed, including at least three Myanmar nationals. It is reported that the fire that started around 2.30 a.m. spread through the AC ducts but the fire service was alerted two hours later. Most of the victims were sleeping when the fire broke out, believed to have been caused by a short circuit. Guests at the hotel were unable to use corridors to escape because of wooden paneling, according to a fire officer.

New of fire breakouts have plagued urban households for quiet sometime; however one can take measures to avoid fire in home. Below are some of the most common causes of house fires, and some tips to take precautions.

1. Cooking Equipment

Pots and pans can overheat and cause a fire very easily if the person cooking gets distracted and leaves cooking unattended. Always stay in the room, or ask someone to watch your food, when cooking.

2. Smoking in bedrooms

Bedrooms are best to be kept off limits for smoking. A cigarette that is not put out properly can cause a flame, as the butt may stay a lit for a few hours. It could burst into flames if it came into contact with flammable materials, such as furniture.

3. Faulty Electrical Equipment

An electrical appliance, such as a toaster can start a fire if it is faulty or has a frayed cord. A power point that is overloaded with double adapter plugs can cause a fire from an overuse of electricity. A power point extension cord can also be a fire hazard if not used appropriately. Double check the appliances and power points in your home.

4. Candles

Candles look and smell pretty, but if left unattended they can cause a room to easily burst into flames. Keep candles away from any obviously flammable items such as books and tissue boxes. Always blow out candles before leaving the room.

5. Improper Wiring

Homes with inadequate wiring can cause fires from electrical hazards. Some signs to see if you’ve bad wiring are: 1) Lights dim if you use another appliance; 2) For an appliance to work, you have to disconnect another 3) Fuses blow or trip the circuit frequently.
Have a licenced electrician come and inspect you house. Better to be safe than sorry.

Share This: