Look forward to rains but stay away from shocks.

Electrical devices such as circuit breakers, fuses, socket outlets plugs and switches can malfunction when water and silt get inside. It is advisable to replace those that have been wet. If the ceilings or the walls are wet, switch off fans and avoid using switchboards. Also maintain distance from wires and electric appliances (which should be turned off). Water, being a good conductor of electricity, increases chances of shock.

Boys navigate their way through a waterlogged street in Mumbai on 20 September, 2017.
Check wet electrical equipments
Do not allow power cable connections to become wet.
Do not use electrical appliances that have become wet. Water can damage the motors in electrical appliances, such as freezers, refrigerators, washing machines, and dryers. Electrical parts can become grounded and pose an electric shock hazard or overheat and cause a fire.

Inspect power tools and electric equipments regularly during the rains. If damaged, stop using them immediately. Repair or replace them. Certain equipment may require complete replacement, while a trained professional may be able to recondition other equipments.

Keep a check on electrical fittings
Repair damaged fittings, loose wires and broken electrical appliances. Sort all the unattended open wires, as it can give you a nasty shock.  Better take a help from a professional electrician before onset of the monsoon.

Use socket outlet covers on outdoor sockets for AC outdoor units.
Never handle electrical items when you are wet.
Use an earth leakage circuit breaker to help prevent electrocutions and electrical shock injuries.
When using a wet- washing machine, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to avoid electric shock.

Watch out for fallen power lines
It is not unusual to see fallen power cables and these can carry an electric current strong enough to cause serious injury or most probably death. The following tips can help you stay safe around fallen power lines:

-If you see a fallen power line, move away from the line and anything touching it, such power lines in contact with water can pose electrical hazards.
The proper way to move away from the line is to take small steps, keeping your feet together and touching the ground at all times. This will minimize the potential for a strong electric shock.
-If you see someone who is in direct or indirect contact with the downed line, do not touch the person. You could become the next victim.
Call for help instead.
-Do not attempt to move a fallen power line or anything in contact with the line by using another object such as a broom or stick.
Even non-conductive materials like wood or cloth, if slightly wet, can conduct electricity and then electrocute you.
-Do not drive over fallen electrical power lines.

Stay safe. Enjoy the rains. Have lots of chai and pakodas 🙂

Share This: