There is a surprising number of to-dos that need to be crossed off before heading out for any trip, and prior to every vacation. If you are able to chalk off a plan without procrastination, you will end up not cramming too many tasks into the morning of your trip, and ending up forgetting things to do and items to pack.
The Day Before :
- Throw away perishable food items from the fridge, as well as any fruit/veggies that might spoil while you are away. You can also lower the temperature setting, since the door will remain closed and you’re not keeping any perishables.
- Get all your laundry done and do not leave clothes in the washing machine.
- Check-in for flight online and print out your boarding passes.
- Write down/print off destination addresses and how to get there from the airport especially if visiting foreign countries.
- Check the weather of your destination on your dates of travel (this will help keep a jacket or umbrella handy).
- Confirm hotel reservations.
- Confirm rental car reservations.
- Download apps, music, and movies for yourself and the kids.
- Fully charge your phone/tablet/laptop/camera.
- Withdraw cash and change it for single currency bills in case you need to tip shuttle drivers, hotel valets, etc.
- Call your bank / credit card company to let them know you’re traveling.
- Pack everything (minus what you will need on your day of travel) in your suitcase and carry-on bag.
- Remove excess items from your wallet and purse. There’s no need to travel with your library card and gym membership ID.
Morning of Departure:
Note: If you have a very early flight, few of the listed items should be done the night before.
- Make sure all doors and windows are shut and locked.
- Make sure the garbage disposable or dustbin is clear of food scraps.
- Take out the last bag of trash to garbage bin as you head out.
- Wash any dishes you have used for making chai or breakfast.
- Sweep the floors to ensure all food crumbs are removed.
- Turn off lights and Unplug electronics.
- Water house plants.
- Close blinds and curtains.
- Double check that you have your passport and itinerary packed in carry-on bag.
- Lastly, unplug and enjoy 🙂