Everyone knows it’s important to change the oil in their cars. Most people also check other service needs for their car, like the transmission, brake, power steering, and tires. Vehicles regularly need basic service and maintenance needs, which are typically taken care of when the oil gets changed. Don’t make the mistake of avoiding maintenance or else the price of repairs and replacements are even more costly. Maintenance ensures the car runs correctly and efficiently. The air conditioner in your home is the same.
The moving parts in your AC need to be regularly maintained as well
Up to 50% of your home’s energy bill is from your AC. If it’s not running correctly, you’re losing money to the power company and needlessly draining energy resources.
Common maintenance mistakes
- Dirty blowers and coils can cause your bill to increase by 35%.
- If you have to add refrigerant to your air conditioning system that means you have a leak, which damages the environment and costs you money.
- 80% of all compressor failures could have been avoided if a proper maintenance had been performed.
What happens when you don’t get your air conditioner serviced
- Condenser coils get clogged with dust, dirt, pollen, and other debris. When that happens, the condenser coil loses its ability to
pull air from the unit. Then, the compressor has to work hard causing a higher electric bill.
- Dirty filters can cause the evaporator coil to starve for air. Each evaporator coil is designed for a specific volume of air to ensure adequate operation.
- Lack of professional maintenance on your cooling system can mean failure for your air conditioner unit’s compressor, condenser fan, and other system components. A malfunction of a component
can overwork your unit.
- Replacing an air conditioning unit is expensive.
Save money on air conditioner repairs
Maintenance on your air conditioner is called a servicing. Performing a servicing at intermittent intervals annually can help you identify problems such as rust, rot, frayed wires, leaks and corroded electrical contacts BEFORE it becomes an expensive repair. Protect your home’s investment by having a HVAC technician perform a simple maintenance check.