One of the toughest decisions you will face as a homemaker is replacing your old and existing air conditioner and to let it go. Although a new air conditioner is a big investment, the repair and operation cost associated with an old, inefficient unit can be equally taxing. So how does one know if its time to replace the air conditioner?
The following tell-tale signs we have listed below are sure to help you make your decision!
1. Replace your Air conditioner if it is more than 10 – 12 years old. In most cases, the lifespan of a well maintained air conditioner can last about 15 years. However, if the unit is in need of expensive repairs and your air conditioner is more than 10 years old, it will often make more sense to replace it.
2. Replace your Air conditioner if it is inefficient. If your air conditioner has a low BEE or Energy star rating, it can cost you a lot of money (read electricity bills) to keep it running . Currently, the Indian government has released a new set of ratings for AC manufacturers to comply with and this will come into play as soon as they exhaust their existing stock.
3. Replace your Air conditioner if you are facing expensive repairs. Any time you’re faced with the dilemma of an expensive repair, you’ll want to weigh the cost of the repair against the costs of a new unit. If the cost of the repair would cover a large part of a new system, and especially if your air conditioner is showing any of the other signs in this list, it will likely make more financial sense to replace it.
Repair your Air conditioner if –
(Cost of Repair) X (Age of Old AC Unit in Years) < (Cost of a New AC unit)
Replace your Air conditioner if –
(Cost of Repair) X (Age of Old AC Unit in Years) > (Cost of a New AC)
4. Replace your Air conditioner if it breaks down frequently. Does it seem like your air conditioner is constantly breaking down? Are you calling the repair service center or an AC technician every month because of a new problem with your unit? These repair costs can really add up, and it doesn’t make sense to keep incurring them on older units. Investing in a new unit may seem like a prudent decision.
5. Replace your Air Conditioner if your home isn’t comfortable. Does it take a long time to cool your home? This could be the sign of an aging air conditioner or even an incorrectly sized system. If it’s not going to keep your home cool, you’ll want to replace it with a unit that will.
Figuring out if you should repair or replace your AC can be a stressful decision. Don’t replace an air conditioner just because the technician said that you have to! There are many occasions in which repairing your air conditioner is a perfectly viable option. We hope this article helps you make the decision best suitable to you.